skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 06/26/2018

What to Do if You Haven't Filed Your Tax Return

Tax Topic 153
You haven't filed your federal income tax return for this year or previous years. Regardless of your reason for not filing a required return, file your tax return as soon as possible. If you need help, check our website. We have many tools and resources available, such as the Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA), FAQs, and Tax Trails.
If you're not sure whether you're required to file a return, visit Do I Need to File a Tax Return or refer to Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals. If you're required to file and owe a balance, but you can't pay all of the tax due on your return, the IRS may be able to help you establish a payment agreement. For additional information on tax payment options, refer to Tax Topic 202.
If your return wasn't filed by the due date (including extensions of time to file):