skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 54

Estimated Tax(p7)

The requirements for determining who must pay estimated tax are the same for a U.S. citizen or resident abroad as for a taxpayer in the United States. For current instructions on making estimated tax payments, see Form 1040-ES.
If you had a tax liability for 2017, you may have to pay estimated tax for 2018. Generally, you must make estimated tax payments for 2018 if you expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for 2018 after subtracting your withholding and credits and you expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:
  1. 90% of the tax to be shown on your 2018 tax return, or
  2. 100% of the tax shown on your 2017 tax return. (The return must cover all 12 months.)
If less than two-thirds of your gross income for 2017 and 2018 is from farming or fishing and your adjusted gross income for 2017 is more than $150,000 ($75,000 if you are married and file separately), substitute 110% for 100% in (2). See Pub. 505 for more information.
The first installment of estimated tax is due on April 17, 2018. For more information about figuring your estimated tax, see Pub. 505.

Foreign earned income exclusion. (p8)

When figuring your estimated gross income, subtract amounts you expect to exclude under the foreign earned income exclusion and the foreign housing exclusion. In addition, you can reduce your income by your estimated foreign housing deduction. However, you must estimate tax on your nonexcluded income using the tax rates that will apply had you not excluded the income. If the actual amount of the exclusion or deduction is less than you estimate, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax.
For more information, see the Instructions for Form 2555.