skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 17

Allocated Tips(p57)

If your employer allocated tips to you, they're shown separately on your Form W-2, box 8. They aren't included in box 1 with your wages and reported tips. If box 8 is blank, this discussion doesn't apply to you.

What are allocated tips.(p57)

These are tips that your employer assigned to you in addition to the tips you reported to your employer for the year. Your employer will have done this only if: No income, social security, Medicare, Additional Medicare, or railroad retirement taxes are withheld on allocated tips.

How were your allocated tips figured.(p57)

The tips allocated to you are your share of an amount figured by subtracting the reported tips of all employees from 8% (or an approved lower rate) of food and drink sales (other than carryout sales and sales with a service charge of 10% or more). Your share of that amount was figured using either a method provided by an employer-employee agreement or a method provided by IRS regulations based on employees' sales or hours worked. For information about the exact allocation method used, ask your employer.

Must you report your allocated tips on your tax return.(p57)

You must report all tips you received in 2017, including both cash tips and noncash tips, on your tax return. Any tips you reported to your employer for 2017 are included in the wages shown on your Form W-2, box 1. Add to the amount in box 1 only the tips you didn't report to your employer. This should include any allocated tips shown on your Form(s) W-2, box 8, unless you have adequate records to show that you received less tips in the year than the allocated figures.
See What tips to report under Reporting Tips on Your Tax Return, and Keeping a Daily Tip Record, earlier.

How to report allocated tips.(p57)

Report the amounts shown on your Form(s) W-2, box 1 (wages and tips) and box 8 (allocated tips), as wages on Form 1040, line 7; Form 1040NR, line 8; or Form 1040NR-EZ, line 3. You can’t file Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ when you have allocated tips.
Because social security, Medicare, and Additional Medicare taxes weren't withheld from the allocated tips, you must report those taxes as additional tax on your return. Complete Form 4137, and include the allocated tips on line 1 of the form. See Reporting social security, Medicare, Additional Medicare, or railroad retirement taxes on tips not reported to your employer under Reporting Tips on Your Tax Return, earlier.