skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 17

Chapter 2
Filing Status(p20)

What’s New(p20)

At the time this publication went to print, Congress was considering legislation that would do the following.
  1. Provide additional tax relief for those affected by Hurricane Harvey, Irma, or Maria, and tax relief for those affected by other 2017 disasters, such as the California wildfires.
  2. Extend certain tax benefits that expired at the end of 2016 and that currently can’t be claimed on your 2017 return.
  3. Change certain other tax provisions.
To find out whether this legislation was enacted resulting in changes that affect your 2017 tax return, go to Recent Developments at
This chapter helps you determine which filing status to use. There are five filing statuses.
If more than one filing status applies to you, choose the one that will give you the lowest tax.
You must determine your filing status before you can determine whether you must file a tax return (chapter 1), your standard deduction (chapter 20), and your tax (chapter 30). You also use your filing status to determine whether you are eligible to claim certain deductions and credits.


Useful items

You may want to see:

 501 Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information
 519 U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
 555 Community Property

Marital Status(p20)

In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or married.

Unmarried persons.(p20)

You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:
Divorced persons.(p20)
If you are divorced under a final decree by the last day of the year, you are considered unmarried for the whole year.
Divorce and remarriage.(p20)
If you obtain a divorce for the sole purpose of filing tax returns as unmarried individuals, and at the time of divorce you intend to and do, in fact, remarry each other in the next tax year, you and your spouse must file as married individuals in both years.
Annulled marriages.(p20)
If you obtain a court decree of annulment, which holds that no valid marriage ever existed, you are considered unmarried even if you filed joint returns for earlier years. You must file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, claiming single or head of household status for all tax years that are affected by the annulment and not closed by the statute of limitations for filing a tax return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. If you filed your original return early (for example, March 1), your return is considered filed on the due date (generally April 15). However, if you had an extension to file (for example, until October 15) but you filed earlier and we received it on July 1, your return is considered filed on July 1.
Head of household or qualifying widow(er).(p20)
If you are considered unmarried, you may be able to file as a head of household or as a qualifying widow(er). See Head of Household and Qualifying Widow(er) to see if you qualify.

Married persons.(p20)

If you are considered married, you and your spouse can file a joint return or separate returns.
Considered married.(p20)
You are considered married for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you and your spouse meet any one of the following tests.
  1. You are married and living together.
  2. You are living together in a common law marriage recognized in the state where you now live or in the state where the common law marriage began.
  3. You are married and living apart, but not legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance.
  4. You are separated under an interlocutory (not final) decree of divorce.
Spouse died during the year.(p21)
If your spouse died during the year, you are considered married for the whole year for filing status purposes.
If you didn't remarry before the end of the tax year, you can file a joint return for yourself and your deceased spouse. For the next 2 years, you may be entitled to the special benefits described later under Qualifying Widow(er).
If you remarried before the end of the tax year, you can file a joint return with your new spouse. Your deceased spouse's filing status is married filing separately for that year.
Married persons living apart.(p21)
If you live apart from your spouse and meet certain tests, you may be able to file as head of household even if you aren't divorced or legally separated. If you qualify to file as head of household instead of married filing separately, your standard deduction will be higher. Also, your tax may be lower, and you may be able to claim the earned income credit. See Head of Household, later.