skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040-A

Amount You Owe(p63)

To avoid interest and penalties, pay your taxes in full by April 17, 2018. You do not have to pay if line 50 is under $1.
Include any estimated payments from line 51 in the amount you enter on line 50. Do not include any estimated payments for 2018 in this payment. Instead, make the estimated payment separately.
Bad check or payment.(p63)
The penalty for writing a bad check to the IRS is $25 or 2% of the check, whichever is more. However, if the amount of the check is less than $25, the penalty equals the amount of the check. This also applies to other forms of payments if the IRS doesn’t receive the funds. Use Tax Topic 206.

Line 50(p63)


Amount You Owe(p63)

IRS offers several electronic payment options. You can pay online, by phone, mobile device, cash (maximum $1,000 per day and per transaction), check, or money order. Go to for payment options.

Pay Online(p63)

IRS offers an electronic payment option that is right for you. Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time. To pay your taxes online or for more information, go to You can pay using any of the following methods.

Pay by Phone(p63)

Paying by phone is another safe and secure method of paying electronically. Use one of the following methods (1) call one of the debit or credit card service providers or (2) use the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS).
Debit or credit card.(p63)
Call one of our service providers. Each charges a fee that varies by provider, card type, and payment amount.

WorldPay US, Inc.

Official Payments

Link2Gov Corporation

To use EFTPS, you must be enrolled either online or have an enrollment form mailed to you. To make a payment using EFTPS, call 1-800-555-4477 (English) or 1-800-244-4829 (Español). People who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and who have access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 1-800-733-4829. For more information about EFTPS, go to or

Pay by Mobile Device(p63)

To pay through your mobile device, download the IRS2Go application.

Pay by Cash(p63)

Cash is an in-person payment option for individuals provided through retail partners with a maximum of $1,000 per day per transaction. To make a cash payment, you must first be registered online at, our Official Payment provider.

Pay by Check or Money Order(p63)

Before submitting a payment through the mail, please consider alternative methods. One of our safe, quick, and easy electronic payment options might be right for you. If you choose to mail a tax payment, make your check or money order payable to United States Treasury for the full amount due. Don’t send cash. Don’t attach the payment to your return. Write 2017 Form 1040A and your name, address, daytime phone number, and social security number (SSN) on your payment and attach Form 1040-V. For the most up-to-date information on Form 1040-V, go to If you are filing a joint return, enter the SSN shown first on your tax return.
To help us process your payment, enter the amount on the right side of the check like this: $ XXX.XX. Don’t use dashes or lines (for example, don’t enter $ XXX– or $ XXXxx/100).
Mail your 2017 tax return, payment, and Form 1040-V to the address shown on the form that applies to you.

What If You Can't Pay?(p64)

If you can't pay the full amount shown on line 50 when you file, you can ask for:
Installment agreement.(p64)
Under an installment agreement, you can pay all or part of the tax you owe in monthly installments. However, even if an installment is granted, you will be charged interest and may be charged a late payment penalty on the tax not paid by April 17, 2018. You also must pay a fee. To limit the interest and penalty charges, pay as much of the tax as possible when you file. But before requesting an installment agreement, you should consider other less costly alternatives, such as a bank loan or credit card payment.
To ask for an installment agreement, you can apply online or use Form 9465. To apply online, go to and click on Apply for an Online Payment Plan.
Extension of time to pay.(p64)
If paying the tax when it is due would cause you an undue hardship, you can ask for an extension of time to pay by filing Form 1127 by April 17, 2018. An extension generally won't be granted for more than 6 months. If you pay after that date, you will be charged interest on the tax not paid by April 15, 2018. You must pay the tax before the extension runs out. Penalties and interest will be imposed until taxes are paid in full. For the most up-to-date information on Form 1127, go to

Line 51(p64)


Estimated Tax Penalty(p64)

You may owe this penalty if:
For most people, the tax shown on your return is the amount on your 2017 Form 1040A, line 39, minus the total of any amounts shown on lines 38, 42a, 43, 44, and 45.
You won't owe the penalty if your 2016 tax return was for a tax year of 12 full months and either of the following applies.
  1. You had no tax shown on your 2016 return and you were a U.S. citizen or resident for all of 2016.
  2. The total of lines 40, 41, and any excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax included on line 46 on your 2017 return is at least 100% of the tax shown on your 2016 return (110% of that amount if you are not a farmer or fisherman and your adjusted gross income (AGI) shown on your 2016 return was more than $150,000 (more than $75,000 if married filing separately for 2017)). Your estimated tax payments for 2017 must have been made on time and for the required amount.
For most people, the tax shown on your 2016 return is the amount on your 2016 Form 1040A, line 39, minus the total of any amounts shown on lines 38, 42a, 43, 44, and 45.
Figuring the penalty.(p64)
If the Exception just described doesn't apply and you choose to figure the penalty yourself, use Form 2210.
Enter any penalty on line 51. Add the penalty to any tax due and enter the total on line 50. However, if you have an overpayment on line 47, subtract the penalty from the amount you would otherwise enter on line 48a or 49. Lines 48a, 49, and 51 must equal line 47.
If the penalty is more than the overpayment on line 47, enter -0- on lines 48a and 49. Then subtract line 47 from line 51 and enter the result on line 50.
Don't file Form 2210 with your return unless Form 2210 indicates that you must do so. Instead, keep it for your records.
Because Form 2210 is complicated, you can leave line 51 blank and the IRS will figure the penalty and send you a bill. We won't charge you interest on the penalty if you pay by the date specified on the bill. If your income varied during the year, the annualized income installment method may reduce the amount of your penalty. But you must file Form 2210 because the IRS can't figure your penalty under this method. See the Instructions for Form 2210 for other situations in which you may be able to lower your penalty by filing Form 2210.