skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040-A

Social Security Number (SSN)(p15)

An incorrect or missing SSN can increase your tax, reduce your refund, or delay your refund. To apply for an SSN, fill in Form SS-5 and return it, along with the appropriate evidence documents, to the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can get Form SS-5 online at, from your local SSA office, or by calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get an SSN once the SSA has all the evidence and information it needs.
Check that both the name and SSN on your Forms 1040A, W-2, and 1099 agree with your social security card. If they don't, certain deductions and credits on your Form 1040A may be reduced or disallowed and you may not receive credit for your social security earnings. If your Form W-2 shows an incorrect SSN or name, notify your employer or the form-issuing agent as soon as possible to make sure your earnings are credited to your social security record. If the name or SSN on your social security card is incorrect, call the SSA.

IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) for Aliens(p15)

If you are a nonresident or resident alien and you don't have and aren't eligible to get an SSN, you must apply for an ITIN. It takes about 7 weeks to get an ITIN.
If you already have an ITIN, enter it wherever your SSN is requested on your tax return.
Some ITINs must be renewed. If you haven't used your ITIN on a federal tax return at least once for tax years 2014, 2015, or 2016, or if your ITIN has the middle digits 70, 71, 72, or 80 (9NN-70-NNNN), it expired at the end of 2017 and must be renewed if you need to file a federal tax return in 2018. You don't need to renew your ITIN if you don't need to file a federal tax return. You can find more information at
An ITIN is for federal tax use only. It doesn't entitle you to social security benefits or change your employment or immigration status under U.S. law.
For more information on ITINs, including application, expiration, and renewal, see Form W-7 and its instructions.
If you receive an SSN after previously using an ITIN, stop using your ITIN. Use your SSN instead. Visit a local IRS office or write a letter to the IRS explaining that you now have an SSN and want all your tax records combined under your SSN. Details about what to include with the letter and where to mail it are at

Nonresident Alien Spouse(p15)

If your spouse is a nonresident alien, he or she must have either an SSN or an ITIN if: