skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 225

Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax(p80)

You must pay FUTA tax if you meet either of the following tests. These rules don't apply to exempt services of your spouse, your parents, or your children under age 21. See Family Employees, earlier.

Alien farmworkers.(p80)

Wages paid to aliens admitted on a temporary basis to the United States to perform farmwork (also known as "H-2A visa workers") are exempt from FUTA tax. However, include your employment of these workers and the wages you paid them to determine whether you meet either of the above tests.

Commodity wages.(p80)

Payments in kind for farm labor aren't cash wages. Don't count them to figure whether you’re subject to FUTA tax or to figure how much tax you owe.

Tax rate and credit.(p80)

The gross FUTA tax rate is 6.0% of the first $7,000 cash wages you pay to each employee during the year. However, you’re given a credit of up to 5.4% of the first $7,000 cash wages you pay to each employee for the state unemployment tax you pay. If your state tax rate (experience rate) is less than 5.4%, you may still be allowed the full 5.4% credit.
If you don't pay the state tax, you can't take the credit. If you’re exempt from state unemployment tax for any reason, the full 6.0% rate applies. See the Instructions for Form 940 for additional information.

More information.(p80)

For more information on FUTA tax, see Pub. 51.

Reporting and Paying FUTA Tax(p80)

The FUTA tax is imposed on you as the employer. It must not be collected or deducted from the wages of your employees.

Form 940.(p80)

Report FUTA tax on Form 940. The 2016 Form 940 is due January 31, 2017 (or February 10, 2017, if you timely deposited the full amount of your 2016 FUTA tax).


If at the end of any calendar quarter you owe, but haven't yet deposited, more than $500 in FUTA tax for the year, you must make a deposit by the end of the following month. If the undeposited tax is $500 or less at the end of a quarter, you don't have to deposit it. You can add it to the tax for the next quarter. If the total undeposited tax is more than $500 at the end of the next quarter, a deposit will be required. If the total undeposited tax at the end of the 4th quarter is $500 or less, you can either make a deposit or pay it with your return by the January 31, 2017, due date.
Electronic deposit requirement.(p80)
You must use EFT to make all federal tax deposits. Generally, an EFT is made using EFTPS. If you don't want to use EFTPS, you can arrange for your tax professional, financial institution, payroll service, or other trusted third party to make electronic deposits on your behalf. Also, you may arrange for your financial institution to initiate a same-day wire payment on your behalf. EFTPS is a free service provided by the Department of Treasury. Services provided by your tax professional, financial institution, payroll service, or other third party may have a fee.
For more information on making federal tax deposits, see section 7 of Pub. 51. To get more information about EFTPS or to enroll in EFTPS, visit or call 1-800-555-4477 or 1-800-733-4829 (TDD). Additional information about EFTPS is also available in Pub. 966.