skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website

Frequently Asked Tax Questions

IRS Procedures - Address Changes

  1. How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?

Rev. date: 12/05/2016

How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?

There are several ways to tell us your address has changed:
Methods to Change Your Address
Method Action
IRS formUse Form 8822, Change of Address or Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party - Business
Tax returnUse your new address when you file
Written statement
Send us a signed written statement with your:
  • full name
  • old address
  • new address
  • social security number (ITIN or EIN)

Mail your signed statement to the address where you filed your last return.
Oral notification
Tell us in person or by telephone. We'll need you to verify your identity and the address we have on file for you. Please have ready:
  • your full name
  • your address
  • your date of birth
  • your social security number (ITIN or EIN)
If you filed a joint return, and are still residing with your spouse, both you and your spouse should sign the form or statement.
If you filed a joint return and you now have separate addresses, each of you should notify us of your new, separate address.
Authorized representatives filing a form or written statement to change an address for a taxpayer must attach a copy of their power of attorney or Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. Unauthorized third parties can't change a taxpayer's address.
Changes of address through the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may update your address of record on file with us based on what they retain in their National Change of Address (NCOA) database. However, even when you notify the USPS, not all post offices forward government checks, so you should still notify us.
For changes of address relating to an employment tax return, we issue confirmation notices (Notices 148A and 148B) for the change to both the new and former address.
It can take four to six weeks for a change of address request to fully process.