skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 11/20/2015

Additional Tax on Early Distributions from Traditional and Roth IRAs

Tax Topic 557
To discourage the use of IRAs for purposes other than retirement, the law imposes an additional 10% tax on early distributions from traditional and Roth IRAs unless an exception applies. Generally, early distributions are those you receive from an IRA before reaching age 59½. The additional 10% tax applies to the part of the distribution that you have to include in gross income. It is in addition to any regular income tax on that amount.

No Additional 10% Tax

Distributions that you roll over or transfer to another IRA or qualified retirement plan are not subject to this additional 10% tax. This is true as long as the distributions for a rollover fall within the guidelines of the one year rollover provision. For more information on rollovers, refer to Tax Topic 413.
There are exceptions to this additional 10% tax for early distributions that are:
Refer to Publication 590-B, Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs), for more information on these exceptions.
Other exceptions apply to distributions from other qualified employee retirement plans. For information on these exceptions, refer to Tax Topic 558 or Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income. For more information on IRA distributions, refer to Publication 590-B.

Reporting the Additional 10% Tax

The additional 10% tax is reported on Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (Including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts. However, you do not have to file Form 5329 if your Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., shows distribution code 1 in Box 7. In this instance, you need only enter the additional 10% tax directly on the appropriate line of your Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. If you meet one of the exceptions to the tax, and your Form 1099-R does not have a distribution code 2, 3, or 4 in the box labeled distribution code(s), or if the code shown is incorrect, you must file Form 5329 to claim the exception.

Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax

Federal income tax withholding is required for distributions from IRAs unless you elect out of withholding on the distribution. If you elect out of withholding, you may have to make estimated tax payments. For more information on withholding and estimated tax payments, refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.