skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 11/20/2015

Work-Related Education Expenses

Tax Topic 513
You may be able to deduct work-related education expenses paid during the year as an itemized deduction on Form 1040 (Schedule A), Itemized Deductions. To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills or (2) that your employer or a law requires to keep your salary, status, or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education cannot be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business.
Although the education must relate to your present work, education expenses incurred during temporary absence from your job may be deductible. After your temporary absence, you must return to the same kind of work. Usually, absence from work for one year or less is considered temporary.
Expenses that you can deduct include:
If you are an employee, you generally must complete Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses, or Form 2106-EZ, Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses. Deduct the education expenses as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Form 1040 (Schedule A); they are subject to the 2% of adjusted gross income limit. For information on the 2% limit, refer to Publication 529, Miscellaneous Deductions, and Instructions 1040 (Schedule A) (PDF).
Self-employed individuals include education expenses on Form 1040 (Schedule C), Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship), Form 1040 (Schedule C-EZ), Net Profit From Business (Sole Proprietorship), or Form 1040 (Schedule F), Profit or Loss From Farming.
Your employer may report the education assistance payments on your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in the appropriate box under "other." Taxable reimbursements will be reported by your employer as income to you in the appropriate box of Form W-2.
For more information on work-related education expenses, education tax credits, or information for specific types of employees, such as performing artists, refer to Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education. Also see additional information about education in Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center.