skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 12/14/2015

Roth IRA Contributions

Tax Topic 309
A Roth Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) is a tax-favored account or annuity set up in the United States solely for the benefit of you or your beneficiaries. You can contribute to a Roth IRA if you have taxable compensation and your modified adjusted gross income is within certain limitations. Regardless of the amount of your adjusted gross income, you may be able to convert amounts from either a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA into a Roth IRA. You also may be able to roll over amounts from a qualified retirement plan to a Roth IRA. A Roth IRA differs from a traditional IRA in that contributions are not deductible and qualified distributions are not included in income. For information on contributions and the limitations, please refer to Chapter 2 of Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs).
The newest form of a Roth IRA account developed by the Department of the Treasury to help encourage retirement savings is called myRA®, My Retirement Account. It is a simple, safe, and affordable retirement savings option available through employers to help more people begin to save for retirement. It follows all of the regular rules for a Roth IRA. There is no contribution minimum and the investments are backed by the United States Treasury. For more information, visit myRA.