skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 4/20/2016

Extensions of Time to File Your Tax Return

Tax Topic 304
There are three ways to request an automatic extension of time to file your U.S. individual income tax return. The request for extension of time to file must be made by the regular due date of your return to avoid the penalty for filing late. An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.
You may file your extension in any one of three ways listed below:
  1. Pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. You will receive a confirmation number for your records.
  2. E-file Form 4868, Application For Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Tax Return, using your personal computer or through a tax professional.
  3. File a paper Form 4868 and enclose payment of your estimate of tax due. Note: Fiscal year taxpayers must file a paper Form 4868.
If you file the Form 4868 electronically, be sure to have a copy of your prior year's return; you will be asked to provide your prior year's adjusted gross income (AGI) amount for verification purposes. Once you file, you will receive an electronic acknowledgement that the IRS has accepted your filing. Keep this for your records. You should refer to your tax software or tax professional for ways to file and pay electronically using e-file services. Several companies offer free filing of Form 4868 through the Free File program.
Out of the Country – You are allowed two extra months (generally until June 15) to file your return and pay any tax due without requesting an extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and on the regular due date of your return you are either:
  1. living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, and your main place of business or post of duty is outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  2. in military or naval service on duty outside of the United States and Puerto Rico.
For additional information, refer to Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad. If you use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining which of the two situations qualify you for the extension. You will still have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return. You can also receive an additional 4-month extension of time to file if you file Form 4868 and check the box on line 8 to indicate that you need an additional 4 months to file your return. The additional 4-month period is not an extension of time to pay.

Additional Information

For more information, see the Extension of Time to File page and What Is the Due Date of My Federal Tax Return or Am I Eligible to Request an Extension?