skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 970

Reporting Early Distributions(p64)

By February 1, 2016 (January 31 is a Sunday), the payer of your IRA distribution should send you Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. The information on this form will help you determine how much of your distribution is taxable for income tax purposes and how much is subject to the 10% additional tax.
If you received an early distribution from your IRA, you must report the taxable part of the distribution on Form 1040, line 15b (Form 1040NR, line 16b). Then, if you qualify for an exception for qualified higher education expenses, you must file Form 5329 to show how much, if any, of your early distribution is subject to the 10% additional tax. See the instructions for Form 5329, Part I, for help in completing the form and entering the results on Form 1040 or 1040NR.
There are many other situations in which Form 5329 is required. If, during 2015, you had other distributions from IRAs or qualified retirement plans, or have made excess contributions to certain tax-favored accounts, see the instructions for line 59 (Form 1040) or line 57 (Form 1040NR) to determine if you must file Form 5329.