skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 11/26/2014

Change Your Address – How to Notify the IRS

Tax Topic 157
If your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any IRS refunds or correspondence. There are several ways to notify the IRS of an address change:

When Filing Your Tax Return

If you change your address before filing your return, enter your new address on your return when you file. When your return is processed, we will update your records.

Notifying the Post Office

If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. Because not all post offices forward government checks, notifying the post office that services your old address ensures that your mail will be forwarded, but not necessarily your refund check.

By Form

To change your address with the IRS, you may complete a Form 8822, Change of Address, and/or a Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business, and send them to the address shown on the forms. Note: Beginning January 1, 2014, any entity with an employer identification number (EIN) must file Form 8822-B to report to the IRS the latest change to its responsible party. For more information, see responsible party in Form 8822-B. You may download or print the fillable Forms 8822 and 8822-B from or order them by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Electronic Notification

You can only notify us electronically if your refund check was returned to us. Use Where's My Refund? to complete your change of address online. You will need your Social Security number, filing status and the amount of your refund. For more information, see Understanding your CP31 Notice on

In Writing

You may also write to inform us of your address change. If you write, we need your:
Joint Filers - If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses. Send your written address change information to the campus addresses listed in the instructions to the tax forms you filed.
Separated - If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since established separate residences, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.