skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 583

Deducting Business Expenses(p9)

You can deduct business expenses on your business or personal income tax return, depending on the form of your business. These are the current operating costs of running your business. To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your field of business, trade, or profession. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your business, trade, or profession. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.
The following are brief explanations of some expenses that are of interest to people starting a business. There are many other expenses that you may be able to deduct. See your form instructions and Publication 535, Business Expenses.

Business Start-Up Costs(p9)

Business start-up costs are the expenses you incur before you actually begin business operations. Your business start-up costs will depend on the type of business you are starting. They may include costs for advertising, travel, surveys, and training. These costs are generally capital expenses.
You usually recover costs for a particular asset (such as machinery or office equipment) through depreciation (discussed next). You can elect to deduct up to $5,000 of business start-up costs and $5,000 of organizational costs paid or incurred after October 22, 2004. The $5,000 deduction is reduced by the amount your total start-up or organizational costs exceed $50,000. Any remaining cost must be amortized.
For more information about amortizing start-up and organizational costs, see chapter 7 in Publication 535.


If property you acquire to use in your business has a useful life that extends substantially beyond the year it is placed in service, you generally cannot deduct the entire cost as a business expense in the year you acquire it. You must spread the cost over more than one tax year and deduct part of it each year. This method of deducting the cost of business property is called depreciation.
Business property you must depreciate includes the following items.
You can choose to deduct a limited amount of the cost of certain depreciable property in the year you place the property in service. This deduction is known as the "section 179 deduction." For more information about depreciation and the section 179 deduction, see Publication 946, How To Depreciate Property.
Depreciation must be taken in the year it is allowable. Allowable depreciation not taken in a prior year cannot be taken in the current year. If you do not deduct the correct depreciation, you may be able to make a correction by filing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or by changing your accounting method. For more information on how to correct depreciation deductions, see chapter 1 in Publication 946.

Business Use of Your Home(p10)

To deduct expenses related to the business use of part of your home, you must meet specific requirements. Even then, your deduction may be limited. You may be able to use the simplified method to figure your expenses for business use of your home. For more information, see Schedule C (Form 1040) and its instructions.
To qualify to claim expenses for business use of your home, you must meet both the following tests.
  1. Your use of the business part of your home must be:
    1. Exclusive (however, see Exceptions to exclusive use, later),
    2. Regular,
    3. For your trade or business, AND
  2. The business part of your home must be one of the following:
    1. Your principal place of business (defined later),
    2. A place where you meet or deal with patients, clients, or customers in the normal course of your trade or business, or
    3. A separate structure (not attached to your home) you use in connection with your trade or business.

Exclusive use.(p10)

To qualify under the exclusive use test, you must use a specific area of your home only for your trade or business. The area used for business can be a room or other separately identifiable space. The space does not need to be marked off by a permanent partition.
You do not meet the requirements of the exclusive use test if you use the area in question both for business and for personal purposes.

Exceptions to exclusive use.(p10)

You do not have to meet the exclusive use test if either of the following applies.
  1. You use part of your home for the storage of inventory or product samples.
  2. You use part of your home as a daycare facility.
For an explanation of these exceptions, see Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home (Including Use by Daycare Providers).

Principal place of business.(p10)

Your home office will qualify as your principal place of business for deducting expenses for its use if you meet the following requirements.
Alternatively, if you use your home exclusively and regularly for your business, but your home office does not qualify as your principal place of business based on the previous rules, you determine your principal place of business based on the following factors.
If, after considering your business locations, your home cannot be identified as your principal place of business, you cannot deduct home office expenses. However, for other ways to qualify to deduct home office expenses, see Publication 587.

Which form do I file?(p10)

If you file Schedule C (Form 1040), use Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home, to figure your deduction. If you file Schedule F (Form 1040) or you are a partner, you can use the worksheet in Publication 587.

More information.(p11)

For more information about business use of your home, see Publication 587.

Car and Truck Expenses(p11)

If you use your car or truck in your business, you can deduct the costs of operating and maintaining it. You generally can deduct either your actual expenses or the standard mileage rate.

Actual expenses.(p11)

If you deduct actual expenses, you can deduct the cost of the following items:
Depreciation Lease paymentsRegistration
Garage rentLicensesRepairs
InsuranceParking feesTolls
If you use your vehicle for both business and personal purposes, you must divide your expenses between business and personal use. You can divide your expenses based on the miles driven for each purpose.


You are the sole proprietor of a flower shop. You drove your van 20,000 miles during the year. 16,000 miles were for delivering flowers to customers and 4,000 miles were for personal use. You can claim only 80% (16,000 ÷ 20,000) of the cost of operating your van as a business expense.

Standard mileage rate.(p11)

Instead of figuring actual expenses, you may be able to use the standard mileage rate to figure the deductible costs of operating your car, van, pickup, or panel truck for business purposes. You can use the standard mileage rate for a vehicle you own or lease. The standard mileage rate is a specified amount of money you can deduct for each business mile you drive. It is announced annually by the IRS. To figure your deduction, multiply your business miles by the standard mileage rate for the year.
Generally, if you use the standard mileage rate, you cannot deduct your actual expenses. However, you may be able to deduct business-related parking fees, tolls, interest on your car loan, and certain state and local taxes.
Choosing the standard mileage rate.(p11)
If you want to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. In later years, you can choose to use either the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.
If you use the standard mileage rate for a car you lease, you must choose to use it for the entire lease period (including renewals).

Additional information.(p11)

For more information about the rules for claiming car and truck expenses, see Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.