skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 529

Deductions Not Subject
to the 2% Limit(p12)

You can deduct the items listed below as miscellaneous itemized deductions. They are not subject to the 2% limit. Report these items on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 28, or Schedule A (Form 1040NR), line 14.

List of Deductions(p12)


Amortizable Premium on Taxable Bonds(p12)

In general, if the amount you pay for a bond is greater than its stated principal amount, the excess is bond premium. You can elect to amortize the premium on taxable bonds. The amortization of the premium is generally an offset to interest income on the bond rather than a separate deduction item.

Pre-1998 election to amortize bond premium.(p12)

Generally, if you first elected to amortize bond premium before 1998, the above treatment of the premium does not apply to bonds you acquired before 1988.
Bonds acquired after October 22, 1986, and before 1988.(p12)
The amortization of the premium on these bonds is investment interest expense subject to the investment interest limit, unless you chose to treat it as an offset to interest income on the bond.
Bonds acquired before October 23, 1986.(p12)
The amortization of the premium on these bonds is a miscellaneous itemized deduction not subject to the 2% limit.

Deduction for excess premium.(p12)

On certain bonds (such as bonds that pay a variable rate of interest or that provide for an interest-free period), the amount of bond premium allocable to a period may exceed the amount of stated interest allocable to the period. If this occurs, treat the excess as a miscellaneous itemized deduction that is not subject to the 2% limit. However, the amount deductible is limited to the amount by which your total interest inclusions on the bond in prior periods exceed the total amount you treated as a bond premium deduction on the bond in prior periods. If any of the excess bond premium cannot be deducted because of the limit, this amount is carried forward to the next period and is treated as bond premium allocable to that period.
Pre-1998 choice to amortize bond premium. If you made the choice to amortize the premium on taxable bonds before 1998, you can deduct the bond premium amortization that is more than your interest income only for bonds acquired during 1998 and later years.

More information.(p12)

For more information on bond premium, see Bond Premium Amortization in chapter 3 of Publication 550.

Casualty and Theft Losses of Income-Producing Property(p12)

You can deduct a casualty or theft loss as a miscellaneous itemized deduction not subject to the 2% limit if the damaged or stolen property was income-producing property (property held for investment, such as stocks, notes, bonds, gold, silver, vacant lots, and works of art). First report the loss in Section B of Form 4684. You may also have to include the loss on Form 4797, Sales of Business Property, if you are otherwise required to file that form. To figure your deduction, add all casualty or theft losses from this type of property included on Form 4684, lines 32 and 38b, or Form 4797, line 18a. For more information on casualty and theft losses, see Publication 547.

Federal Estate Tax on Income in Respect of a Decedent(p12)

You can deduct the federal estate tax attributable to income in respect of a decedent that you as a beneficiary include in your gross income. Income in respect of the decedent is gross income that the decedent would have received had death not occurred and that was not properly includible in the decedent's final income tax return. See Publication 559 for information about figuring the amount of this deduction.

Gambling Losses Up to the Amount of Gambling Winnings(p12)

You must report the full amount of your gambling winnings for the year on Form 1040, line 21. You deduct your gambling losses for the year on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 28. You cannot deduct gambling losses that are more than your winnings. Generally, nonresident aliens cannot deduct gambling losses on Schedule A (Form 1040NR).
You cannot reduce your gambling winnings by your gambling losses and report the difference. You must report the full amount of your winnings as income and claim your losses (up to the amount of winnings) as an itemized deduction. Therefore, your records should show your winnings separately from your losses.
Where Refund
Diary of winnings and losses. You must keep an accurate diary or similar record of your losses and winnings.
Your diary should contain at least the following information.
  • The date and type of your specific wager or wagering activity.
  • The name and address or location of the gambling establishment.
  • The names of other persons present with you at the gambling establishment.
  • The amount(s) you won or lost.

Proof of winnings and losses.(p13)

In addition to your diary, you should also have other documentation. You can generally prove your winnings and losses through Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings, Form 5754, Statement by Person(s) Receiving Gambling Winnings, wagering tickets, canceled checks, substitute checks, credit records, bank withdrawals, and statements of actual winnings or payment slips provided to you by the gambling establishment.
For specific wagering transactions, you can use the following items to support your winnings and losses.
These recordkeeping suggestions are intended as general guidelines to help you establish your winnings and losses. They are not all-inclusive. Your tax liability depends on your particular facts and circumstances.
Copies of the keno tickets you purchased that were validated by the gambling establishment, copies of your casino credit records, and copies of your casino check cashing records.
Slot machines.(p13)
A record of the machine number and all winnings by date and time the machine was played.
Table games (twenty-one (blackjack), craps, poker, baccarat, roulette, wheel of fortune, etc.).(p13)
The number of the table at which you were playing. Casino credit card data indicating whether the credit was issued in the pit or at the cashier's cage.
A record of the number of games played, cost of tickets purchased, and amounts collected on winning tickets. Supplemental records include any receipts from the casino, parlor, etc.
Racing (horse, harness, dog, etc.).(p13)
A record of the races, amounts of wagers, amounts collected on winning tickets, and amounts lost on losing tickets. Supplemental records include unredeemed tickets and payment records from the racetrack.
A record of ticket purchases, dates, winnings, and losses. Supplemental records include unredeemed tickets, payment slips, and winnings statements.

Impairment-Related Work Expenses(p13)

If you have a physical or mental disability that limits your being employed, or substantially limits one or more of your major life activities, such as performing manual tasks, walking, speaking, breathing, learning, and working, you can deduct your impairment-related work expenses.
Impairment-related work expenses are ordinary and necessary business expenses for attendant care services at your place of work and other expenses in connection with your place of work that are necessary for you to be able to work.


You are blind. You must use a reader to do your work. You use the reader both during your regular working hours at your place of work and outside your regular working hours away from your place of work. The reader's services are only for your work. You can deduct your expenses for the reader as impairment-related work expenses.


If you are self-employed, enter your impairment-related work expenses on the appropriate form (Schedule C, C-EZ, E, or F) used to report your business income and expenses.
See Impairment-related work expenses., later under How To Report.

Loss From Other Activities From Schedule K-1 (Form 1065-B), Box 2(p13)

If the amount reported in Schedule K-1 (Form 1065-B), box 2, is a loss, report it on Schedule A (Form 1040), line 28, or Schedule A (Form 1040NR), line 14 (only if effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business). It is not subject to the passive activity limitations.

Officials Paid on a Fee Basis(p13)

If you are a fee-basis official, you can claim your expenses in performing services in that job as an adjustment to income rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. See Publication 463 for more information.

Performing Artists(p13)

If you are a qualified performing artist, you can deduct your employee business expenses as an adjustment to income rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. If you are an employee, complete Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ. See Publication 463 for more information.

Losses From Ponzi-type Investment Schemes(p14)

These losses are deductible as theft losses of income-producing property on your tax return for the year the loss was discovered. You figure the deductible loss in Section B of Form 4684. However, if you qualify to use Revenue Procedure 2009-20 (as modified by Revenue Procedure 2011-58) and you choose to follow the procedures in the guidance, complete Section C of Form 4684 before completing Section B. Section C of Form 4684 replaces Appendix A in Revenue Procedure 2009-20. You do not need to complete Appendix A. See the Form 4684 instructions and Publication 547, Casualties, Disasters, and Thefts, for more information.

Repayments Under Claim of Right(p14)

If you had to repay more than $3,000 that you included in your income in an earlier year because at the time you thought you had an unrestricted right to it, you may be able to deduct the amount you repaid, or take a credit against your tax. See Repayments in Publication 525 for more information.

Unrecovered Investment in Annuity(p14)

A retiree who contributed to the cost of an annuity can exclude from income a part of each payment received as a tax-free return of the retiree's investment. If the retiree dies before the entire investment is recovered tax free, any unrecovered investment can be deducted on the retiree's final income tax return. See Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income, for more information about the tax treatment of pensions and annuities.