skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 334

Employees' Pay(p33)

You can generally deduct on Schedule C the pay you give your employees for the services they perform for your business. The pay may be in cash, property, or services.
To be deductible, your employees' pay must be an ordinary and necessary expense and you must pay or incur it in the tax year. In addition, the pay must meet both the following tests. Chapter 2 in Publication 535 explains and defines these requirements.
You cannot deduct your own salary or any personal withdrawals you make from your business. As a sole proprietor, you are not an employee of the business.
If you had employees during the year, you must use Schedule C. You cannot use Schedule C-EZ.

Kinds of pay.(p33)

Some of the ways you may provide pay to your employees are listed below. For an explanation of each of these items, see chapter 2 in Publication 535.
Fringe benefits.(p33)
A fringe benefit is a form of pay for the performance of services. The following are examples of fringe benefits.
Employee benefit programs include the following.
You can generally deduct the cost of fringe benefits you provide on your Schedule C in whatever category the cost falls. For example, if you allow an employee to use a car or other property you lease, deduct the cost of the lease as a rent or lease expense. If you own the property, include your deduction for its cost or other basis as a section 179 deduction or a depreciation deduction.
You may be able to exclude all or part of the fringe benefits you provide from your employees' wages. For more information about fringe benefits and the exclusion of benefits, see Publication 15-B, Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits.