skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 17

Health Insurance Costs for Self-Employed

If you were self-employed and had a net profit for the year, you may be able to deduct, as an adjustment to income, amounts paid for medical and qualified long-term care insurance on behalf of yourself, your spouse, your dependents, and, your children who were under age 27 at the end of 2014. For this purpose, you were self-employed if you were a general partner (or a limited partner receiving guaranteed payments) or you received wages from an S corporation in which you were more than a 2% shareholder. The insurance plan must be established under your trade or business and the deduction cannot be more than your earned income from that trade or business.
You cannot deduct payments for medical insurance for any month in which you were eligible to participate in a health plan subsidized by your employer, your spouse's employer, or, an employer of your dependent or your child under age 27 at the end of 2014. You cannot deduct payments for a qualified long-term care insurance contract for any month in which you were eligible to participate in a long-term care insurance plan subsidized by your employer or your spouse's employer.
If you qualify to take the deduction, use the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction Worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure the amount you can deduct. But if any of the following applies, do not use that worksheet. Instead, use the worksheet in Publication 535, Business Expenses, to figure your deduction.Use Publication 974 instead of the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions if you, your spouse, or a dependent enrolled in health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace and you are claiming the premium tax credit.
Do not include amounts paid for health insurance coverage with retirement plan distributions that were tax-free because you are a retired public safety officer.

Where to report.(p148)

You take this deduction on Form 1040. If you itemize your deductions and do not claim 100% of your self-employed health insurance on Form 1040, you can generally include any remaining premiums with all other medical expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040), subject to the 10% limit (7.5% if either you or your spouse was born before January 2, 1950). See Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction in Publication 535 and Medical and Dental Expenses in the Instructions for Schedule A (Form 1040), for more information.