skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 17

How To Report Dividend Income(p67)

Generally, you can use either Form 1040 or Form 1040A to report your dividend income. Report the total of your ordinary dividends on line 9a of Form 1040 or Form 1040A. Report qualified dividends on line 9b of Form 1040 or Form 1040A.
If you receive capital gain distributions, you may be able to use Form 1040A or you may have to use Form 1040. See Exceptions to filing Form 8949 and Schedule D (Form 1040) in chapter 16. If you receive nondividend distributions required to be reported as capital gains, you must use Form 1040. You cannot use Form 1040EZ if you receive any dividend income other than Alaska Permanent Fund dividends.

Form 1099-DIV. (p67)

If you owned stock on which you received $10 or more in dividends and other distributions, you should receive a Form 1099-DIV. Even if you do not receive Form 1099-DIV, you must report all your dividend income.
See Form 1099-DIV for more information on how to report dividend income.

Form 1040A or 1040. (p68)

You must complete Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), Part II, and attach it to your Form 1040A or 1040, if: If your ordinary dividends are more than $1,500, you must also complete Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), Part III.
List on Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), Part II, line 5, each payer's name and the ordinary dividends you received. If your securities are held by a brokerage firm (in "street name"), list the name of the brokerage firm shown on Form 1099-DIV as the payer. If your stock is held by a nominee who is the owner of record, and the nominee credited or paid you dividends on the stock, show the name of the nominee and the dividends you received or for which you were credited.
Enter on line 6 the total of the amounts listed on line 5. Also enter this total on line 9a of Form 1040A or 1040.

Qualified dividends. (p68)

Report qualified dividends (Form 1099-DIV, box 1b) on line 9b of Form 1040 or Form 1040A. The amount in box 1b is already included in box 1a. Do not add the amount in box 1b to, or subtract it from, the amount in box 1a.
Do not include any of the following on line 9b.
If you have qualified dividends, you must figure your tax by completing the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet in the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions or the Schedule D Tax Worksheet in the Schedule D (Form 1040) instructions, whichever applies. Enter qualified dividends on line 2 of the worksheet.
Investment interest deducted. (p68)
If you claim a deduction for investment interest, you may have to reduce the amount of your qualified dividends that are eligible for the 0%, 15%, or 20% tax rate. Reduce it by the qualified dividends you choose to include in investment income when figuring the limit on your investment interest deduction. This is done on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet or the Schedule D Tax Worksheet. For more information about the limit on investment interest, see Investment expenses in chapter 23.

Expenses related to dividend income. (p68)

You may be able to deduct expenses related to dividend income if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). See chapter 28 for general information about deducting expenses of producing income.

More information. (p68)

For more information about how to report dividend income, see chapter 1 of Publication 550 or the instructions for the form you must file.