skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 17

Credit for Withholding and Estimated Tax
for 2014(p44)

When you file your 2014 income tax return, take credit for all the income tax and excess social security or railroad retirement tax withheld from your salary, wages, pensions, etc. Also take credit for the estimated tax you paid for 2014. These credits are subtracted from your total tax. Because these credits are refundable, you should file a return and claim these credits, even if you do not owe tax.

Two or more employers. (p44)

If you had two or more employers in 2014 and were paid wages of more than $117,000, too much social security or tier 1 railroad retirement tax may have been withheld from your pay. You may be able to claim the excess as a credit against your income tax when you file your return. See Credit for Excess Social Security Tax or Railroad Retirement Tax Withheld in chapter 38.


If you had income tax withheld during 2014, you should be sent a statement by February 2, 2015, showing your income and the tax withheld. Depending on the source of your income, you should receive:

Forms W-2 and W-2G.(p44)

If you file a paper return, always file Form W-2 with your income tax return. File Form W-2G with your return only if it shows any federal income tax withheld from your winnings.
You should get at least two copies of each form. If you file a paper return, attach one copy to the front of your federal income tax return. Keep one copy for your records. You also should receive copies to file with your state and local returns.

Form W-2(p44)

Your employer is required to provide or send Form W-2 to you no later than February 2, 2015. You should receive a separate Form W-2 from each employer you worked for.
If you stopped working before the end of 2014, your employer could have given you your Form W-2 at any time after you stopped working. However, your employer must provide or send it to you by February 2, 2015.
If you ask for the form, your employer must send it to you within 30 days after receiving your written request or within 30 days after your final wage payment, whichever is later.
If you have not received your Form W-2 by February 2, you should ask your employer for it. If you do not receive it by February 16, call the IRS.
Form W-2 shows your total pay and other compensation and the income tax, social security tax, and Medicare tax that was withheld during the year. Include the federal income tax withheld (as shown in box 2 of Form W-2) on: In addition, Form W-2 is used to report any taxable sick pay you received and any income tax withheld from your sick pay.

Form W-2G(p44)

If you had gambling winnings in 2014, the payer may have withheld income tax. If tax was withheld, the payer will give you a Form W-2G showing the amount you won and the amount of tax withheld.
Report the amounts you won on line 21 of Form 1040. Take credit for the tax withheld on line 64 of Form 1040. If you had gambling winnings, you must use Form 1040; you cannot use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ.

The 1099 Series(p44)

Most forms in the 1099 series are not filed with your return. These forms should be furnished to you by February 2, 2015 (or, for Forms 1099-B, 1099-S, and certain Forms 1099-MISC, by February 16, 2015). Unless instructed to file any of these forms with your return, keep them for your records. There are several different forms in this series, including:
If you received the types of income reported on some forms in the 1099 series, you may not be able to use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ. See the instructions to these forms for details.

Form 1099-R.(p44)

Attach Form 1099-R to your paper return if box 4 shows federal income tax withheld. Include the amount withheld in the total on line 64 of Form 1040 or line 40 of Form 1040A. You cannot use Form 1040EZ if you received payments reported on Form 1099-R.

Backup withholding.(p44)

If you were subject to backup withholding on income you received during 2014, include the amount withheld, as shown on your Form 1099, in the total on line 64 of Form 1040, line 40 of Form 1040A, or line 7 of Form 1040EZ.

Form Not Correct(p44)

If you receive a form with incorrect information on it, you should ask the payer for a corrected form. Call the telephone number or write to the address given for the payer on the form. The corrected Form W-2G or Form 1099 you receive will have an "X" in the "CORRECTED" box at the top of the form. A special form, Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, is used to correct a Form W-2.
In certain situations, you will receive two forms in place of the original incorrect form. This will happen when your taxpayer identification number is wrong or missing, your name and address are wrong, or you received the wrong type of form (for example, a Form 1099-DIV instead of a Form 1099-INT). One new form you receive will be the same incorrect form or have the same incorrect information, but all money amounts will be zero. This form will have an "X" in the "CORRECTED" box at the top of the form. The second new form should have all the correct information, prepared as though it is the original (the "CORRECTED" box will not be checked).

Form Received After Filing(p45)

If you file your return and you later receive a form for income that you did not include on your return, you should report the income and take credit for any income tax withheld by filing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Separate Returns(p45)

If you are married but file a separate return, you can take credit only for the tax withheld from your own income. Do not include any amount withheld from your spouse's income. However, different rules may apply if you live in a community property state.
Community property states are listed in chapter 2. For more information on these rules, and some exceptions, see Publication 555, Community Property.

Fiscal Years(p45)

If you file your tax return on the basis of a fiscal year (a 12-month period ending on the last day of any month except December), you must follow special rules to determine your credit for federal income tax withholding. For a discussion of how to take credit for withholding on a fiscal year return, see Fiscal Years (FY) in chapter 3 of Publication 505.

Estimated Tax(p45)

Take credit for all your estimated tax payments for 2014 on line 65 of Form 1040 or line 41 of Form 1040A. Include any overpayment from 2013 that you had credited to your 2014 estimated tax. You must use Form 1040 or Form 1040A if you paid estimated tax. You cannot use Form 1040EZ.

Name changed.(p45)

If you changed your name, and you made estimated tax payments using your old name, attach a brief statement to the front of your paper tax return indicating: The statement should cover payments you made jointly with your spouse as well as any you made separately.
Be sure to report the change to the Social Security Administration. This prevents delays in processing your return and issuing any refunds.

Separate Returns(p45)

If you and your spouse made separate estimated tax payments for 2014 and you file separate returns, you can take credit only for your own payments.
If you made joint estimated tax payments, you must decide how to divide the payments between your returns. One of you can claim all of the estimated tax paid and the other none, or you can divide it in any other way you agree on. If you cannot agree, you must divide the payments in proportion to each spouse's individual tax as shown on your separate returns for 2014.

Divorced Taxpayers(p45)

If you made joint estimated tax payments for 2014, and you were divorced during the year, either you or your former spouse can claim all of the joint payments, or you each can claim part of them. If you cannot agree on how to divide the payments, you must divide them in proportion to each spouse's individual tax as shown on your separate returns for 2014.
If you claim any of the joint payments on your tax return, enter your former spouse's social security number (SSN) in the space provided on the front of Form 1040 or Form 1040A. If you divorced and remarried in 2014, enter your present spouse's SSN in that space and write your former spouse's SSN, followed by "DIV," to the left of Form 1040, line 65, or Form 1040A, line 41.