skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 06/18/2014

Backup Withholding

Tax Topic 307
Banks or other businesses that pay you certain kinds of income must file an information return Form 1099 with the IRS. The information return shows how much you were paid during the year. It also includes your name and taxpayer identification number (TIN).
These payments generally are not subject to withholding. However, "backup withholding" is required in certain situations.
Payments subject to backup withholding: Backup withholding can apply to most kinds of payments that are reported on Form 1099. These include:Backup withholding also may apply to gambling winnings (Form W-2G), unless they are subject to regular gambling withholding.
Withholding rules: When you open a new account, make an investment, or begin to receive payments reportable on Form 1099, you must furnish your TIN to the bank or other business. In some cases, you must furnish your TIN in writing and certify under penalties of perjury that it is correct. The bank or business will give you Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, or a similar form. You must enter your TIN on the form and, if your account or investment will earn interest or dividends, you also must certify that you are not subject to backup withholding due to previous underreporting of interest and dividends.
The payer must withhold at a flat 28% rate in the following situations:
How to prevent or stop backup withholding: If you receive a "B" notice from a payer, notifying you that the TIN you gave is incorrect, you usually can prevent backup withholding from starting or stop backup withholding once it has begun by giving the payer your correct name and TIN. You must certify that the TIN you give is correct. If you receive a second "B" notice from that payer, you will need to provide the payer with verification of your TIN from the Social Security Administration or the IRS.
If you have been notified that you underreported interest or dividends, you must request and receive a determination from the IRS to prevent backup withholding from starting or to stop backup withholding once it has begun.
Backup withholding: If income tax has been withheld under the backup withholding rule, take credit for it on your tax return for the year in which you received the income.
If you operate as a partnership or subchapter S corporation, any monies withheld due to an incorrect name or TIN can only be claimed by the partners and shareholders on their individual income tax returns for their shares of the withheld amounts. The monies are not refundable to the partnership or subchapter S corporation.
More detailed information on backup withholding can be found in Publication 1281, Backup Withholding for Missing and Incorrect Name/Tin(s), including the procedures for payers, and in Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.