skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 01/24/2014

Prior Year(s) Form W-2 (How to Get a Copy)

Tax Topic 159
You can now obtain prior year Forms W-2 (PDF) by using Get Transcript, an online tool that provides access for individual taxpayers with an SSN.
The IRS does not retain actual copies of Form W-2 except as an attachment to your tax return, for prior years. However, the IRS maintains (and will provide free of charge) Form W-2 information for any purpose for the past ten processing years. Use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to request Form W-2 information. The only way to get an actual copy of your Form W-2 from the IRS is to order a copy of the entire return on Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and pay a fee of $50.00 for each return requested.
The Social Security Administration (SSA) will provide the Number Holder (NH) or legal representative(s) at no charge with a microprint copy of the Form W-2 requested for purposes of resolving an SSA program related matter; e.g., resolving an earnings discrepancy in connection with the processing of a Title II and/or Title XVI claim or an SSA or NH initiated earnings investigation.
Call 800-829-3676, or visit the IRS website at to obtain Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, or Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
Call 800-772-1213, or visit the SSA website at for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.