skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 11/25/2013

Ensuring Proper Credit of Payments

Tax Topic 158
If you have a balance due on your personal tax return, you may enclose a check or money order made payable to the "United States Treasury" with your return. Never send cash! Please provide your correct name, address, social security number, daytime telephone number, tax year and form number (example - 2013 F-1040) on the front of your payment. If you are making a payment on a joint return, provide the social security number that was listed first on the return.
Enclose your payment and Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, with your federal tax return. Do not staple or otherwise attach the payment or Form 1040-V to your return. Instead, just put them loose in the envelope. If you make a payment in person at an IRS office, keep the date stamped receipt as part of your records.
If you are electronically filing your tax return, you have the option of paying by electronic debit of your bank account using the Electronic Funds Withdrawal option. You will need to know your account number and your financial institution's routing number. You can check with your financial institution to make sure that an electronic withdrawal is allowed and to get the correct routing and account numbers.
For detailed information on paying your taxes by credit or debit card, or other electronic payment, go to, or call the IRS at 800-829-1040.
If you are making an estimated tax payment with check or money order meant for payment of the current year's federal income tax, do not mail your estimated tax payment with your tax return. You will need to mail your estimated tax payments separately, to the address shown in the Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals, under the section called "Where to File Your Estimated Tax Payment Voucher if Paying by Check or Money Order."
For additional information, refer to Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals, visit the IRS website at or call the IRS Tax Help Line at 800-829-1040.