skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Rev. date: 03/20/2014

What to Do if You Haven't Filed Your Tax Return

Tax Topic 153
You may not have filed your federal income tax return for this year or previous years. Regardless of your reason for not filing a required return, file your tax return as soon as possible. If you need help, check the IRS website, Many tools and resources, such as the Interactive Tax Assistant, FAQs and Tax Trails are available.
If you are not sure you are required to file a return, check Do I Need to File a Tax Return or refer to Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals, searchable online at If you are required to file a return, but you cannot pay all of the tax due on your return, the IRS may be able to help you establish a payment agreement. For additional information on tax payment options, refer to Tax Topic 202.
For answers to your tax questions, information about payment arrangements, or any other tax-related inquiries visit the IRS website at