skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 514

How To Claim
the Credit(p25)

You must file Form 1116 to claim the foreign tax credit unless you meet one of the following exceptions.


If you meet the requirements discussed under Exemption from foreign tax credit limit, earlier, and choose to be exempt from the foreign tax credit limit, do not file Form 1116. Instead, enter your foreign taxes directly on Form 1040, line 47, or Form 1040NR, line 45.
If you are a shareholder of a controlled foreign corporation and chose to be taxed at corporate rates on the amount you must include in gross income from that corporation, use Form 1118 to claim the credit. See Controlled foreign corporation shareholder under You Must Have Paid or Accrued the Tax, earlier.

Form 1116(p25)

You must file a Form 1116 with your U.S. income tax return, Form 1040 or Form 1040NR. You must file a separate Form 1116 for each of the following categories of income for which you claim a foreign tax credit.
A Form 1116 consists of four parts.
  1. Part I—Taxable Income or Loss From Sources Outside the United States (for Category Checked Above). Enter the gross amounts of your foreign or possession source income in the separate limit category for which you are completing the form. Do not include income you excluded on Form 2555 or Form 2555-EZ. From these, subtract the deductions that are definitely related to the separate limit income, and a ratable share of the deductions not definitely related to that income. If, in a separate limit category, you received income from more than one foreign country or U.S. possession, complete a separate column for each. You do not need to report income passed through from a regulated investment company (RIC) on a country by country basis. Aggregate all income passed through from a RIC in a single column in Part I. Enter "RIC" on line g of Part I.
  2. Part II—Foreign Taxes Paid or Accrued. This part shows the foreign taxes you paid or accrued on the income in the separate limit category in foreign currency and U.S. dollars. If you paid (or accrued) foreign tax to more than one foreign country or U.S. possession, complete a separate line for each. If you receive income passed through from a RIC, aggregate all foreign taxes paid or accrued on that income on a single line in Part II.
  3. Part III—Figuring the Credit. You use this part to figure the foreign tax credit that is allowable.
  4. Part IV—Summary of Credits From Separate Parts III. You use this part on one Form 1116 (the one with the largest amount entered on line 22) to summarize the foreign tax credits figured on separate Forms 1116.

Records To Keep(p25)

Where Refund
You should keep the following records in case you are later asked to verify the taxes shown on your Form 1116, Form 1040, or Form 1040NR. You do not have to attach these records to your Form 1040 or Form 1040NR.
  • A receipt for each foreign tax payment.
  • The foreign tax return if you claim a credit for taxes accrued.
  • Any payee statement (such as Form 1099-DIV or Form 1099-INT) showing foreign taxes reported to you.
The receipt or return you keep as proof should be either the original, a duplicate original, or a duly certified or authenticated copy. If the receipt or return is in a foreign language, you also should have a certified translation of it. Revenue Ruling 67-308 in Cumulative Bulletin 1967-2 discusses in detail the requirements of the certified translation. Issues of the Cumulative Bulletin are available in most IRS offices and you are welcome to read them there.