skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 505

Federal Payments(p15)

You can choose to have income tax withheld from certain federal payments you receive. These payments are:
  1. Social security benefits,
  2. Tier 1 railroad retirement benefits,
  3. Commodity credit corporation loans you choose to include in your gross income, and
  4. Payments under the Agricultural Act of 1949 (7 U.S.C. 1421 et seq.), as amended, or title II of the Disaster Assistance Act of 1988 that are treated as insurance proceeds and that you received because:
    1. Your crops were destroyed or damaged by drought, flood, or any other natural disaster, or
    2. You were unable to plant crops because of a natural disaster described
      in (a).
  5. Any other payment under federal law as determined by the Secretary.
To make this choice, fill out Form W-4V (or a similar form provided by the payer) and give it to the payer.
If you do not choose to have income tax withheld, you may have to pay estimated tax. See chapter 2.
If you do not pay enough tax, either through withholding or estimated tax, or a combination of both, you may have to pay a penalty. See chapter 4.

More information.(p15)

For more information about the tax treatment of social security and railroad retirement benefits, get Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits. Get Publication 225, Farmer's Tax Guide, for information about the tax treatment of commodity credit corporation loans or crop disaster payments.