skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Rev. date: 09/21/2012

Notices – What to Do

Tax Topic 651
If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS, it will explain the reason for the contact and give you instructions on how to handle your problem. If you agree with the changes, there is no need to contact us. If you owe a balance, follow the instructions for sending your payment. If you do not agree, please respond as directed in your notice. You should allow at least 30 days for a response. If you are due a refund and owe no other tax or debts that we are required to collect, you will receive the refund within 6 weeks of the notice date.
If we send you a second letter or notice requesting additional information or providing additional information to you, keep copies with your records.
If you made a payment for which you have not been given credit, send a copy of the front and back of the check as proof of the payment. If payment was made by money order, you must obtain a copy of the front and back of the canceled money order from the place where the money order was purchased. Never send original documents.
If you contacted us about a lost or stolen refund check, the notice we sent you will tell you what action to take. If you receive a Notice CP-2000, refer to Tax Topic 652.
If you make quarterly estimated tax payments, please review your computation. You may need to make changes to the amount of your payments based on the changes we made.
All notices should tell you where to send your reply.
Most correspondence can be handled without calling or visiting an IRS office if you follow the instructions in the letter or notice. However, if you have questions, call the telephone number that is usually found in the upper right-hand corner of the notice. Have a copy of your tax return and the correspondence available when you call so your account can be readily accessed.