skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Rev. date: 09/24/2012

Business Use of Car

Tax Topic 510
If you use your car in your job or business and you use it only for that purpose, you may deduct its entire cost of operation (subject to limits discussed later). However, if you use the car for both business and personal purposes, you may deduct only the cost of its business use.
You can generally figure the amount of your deductible car expense using one of two methods: the standard mileage rate method or the actual expense method. If you qualify to use both methods, before choosing a method, you may want to figure your deduction both ways to see which gives you a larger deduction. For the current standard mileage rate, refer to Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses, or search standard mileage rates on If you use the standard mileage rate, you can add to your deduction any parking fees and tolls incurred for business purposes.
To use the standard mileage rate, you must own or lease the car and:
Further, to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. Then, in later years, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.
However, for a car you lease, if you choose the standard mileage rate, you must use the standard mileage rate method for the entire lease period (including renewals).
To use the actual expense method, you must determine what it actually costs to operate the car for the portion of the overall use of the car that is business use. Include gas, oil, repairs, tires, insurance, registration fees, licenses, and depreciation (or lease payments) attributable to the portion of the total miles driven that are business miles.
Other car expenses for parking fees and tolls attributable to business use are separately deductible, whether you use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.
Generally, the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System is the only depreciation method that can be used by car owners to depreciate any car placed in service after 1986. However, if you used the standard mileage rate in the year you place the car in service, and change to the actual expense method in a later year and before your car is fully depreciated, you must use straight-line depreciation over the estimated remaining useful life of the car. There are limits on how much depreciation you can deduct. For additional information on the depreciation limits, please refer to Tax Topic 704. Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses, explains the depreciation limits, and discusses special rules applicable to leased cars.
The law requires that you substantiate your expenses by adequate records or by sufficient evidence to support your own statement. For further information on record keeping, refer to Tax Topic 305.
If you are an employee whose deductible business expenses are fully reimbursed under an accountable plan, the reimbursements should not be included in your wages on your Form W-2, and you should not deduct the expenses.
If your employer uses a non-accountable plan to reimburse you for the expenses, the reimbursements are includable in your wages. Your employer will combine the amount of any reimbursement or other expense allowance paid to you under a non-accountable plan with your wages, salary, or other compensation and report the total on your Form W-2. Your employee business expenses may be deductible as an itemized deduction. For a definition of Accountable and Non-Accountable plans, refer to Publication 463 and Tax Topic 514.
Generally, if you are an employee, to deduct your car expenses including expenses that exceed reimbursement under an accountable plan, you must complete Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ and itemize your deductions on Form 1040 (Schedule A). Your employee expenses are subject to the 2% of adjusted gross income limit. Refer to Tax Topic 508 for information on the 2% limit. If you are self-employed, car expenses are deductible on Form 1040 (Schedule C), or Form 1040 (Schedule C-EZ), or on Form 1040 (Schedule F) if you are a farmer.
For more information, refer to Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.