skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Rev. date: 11/06/2012

What to Do if You Haven't Filed Your Tax Return

Tax Topic 153
You may not have filed your federal income tax return for this year or previous years. Regardless of your reason for not filing a required return, file your tax return as soon as possible. If you need help, the IRS is ready to assist you.
If you are not sure you are required to file a return, refer to Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax. If you are required to file a return, but you cannot pay all of the tax due on your return, the IRS may be able to assist you with establishing a payment agreement. For additional information on tax payment options, refer to Tax Topic 202.
For answers to your tax questions, information about payment arrangements, or any other tax-related inquiries visit the IRS website at or call the IRS Tax Help Line at 800-829-1040.