skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Publication 970

Tax Benefits for Education


Future Developments(p2)

For the latest information about developments related to Publication 970, such as legislation enacted after it was published, go to

What's New(p2)

Lifetime learning credit.(p2)
For 2012, the amount of your lifetime learning credit is gradually reduced (phased out) if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is between $52,000 and $62,000 ($104,000 and $124,000 if you file a joint return). You cannot claim a credit if your MAGI is $62,000 or more ($124,000 or more if you file a joint return). This is an increase from the 2011 limits of $51,000 and $61,000 ($102,000 and $122,000 if filing a joint return). For more information, see chapter 3, Lifetime Learning Credit.
Student loan interest deduction.(p2)
The amount of your student loan interest deduction for 2012 is gradually reduced (phased out) if your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is between $60,000 and $75,000 ($125,000 and $155,000 if you file a joint return). You cannot take a deduction if your MAGI is $75,000 or more ($155,000 or more if you file a joint return). This is an increase from the 2011 limits of $60,000 and $75,000 ($120,000 and $155,000 if filing a joint return). See chapter 4, Student Loan Interest Deduction, for more information.
Increased income thresholds for education savings bond program.(p2)
For 2012, the amount of your interest exclusion will be gradually reduced (phased out) if your filing status is married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) with a dependent child, and your modified adjusted gross income is between $109,250 and $139,250. You cannot take the deduction if your MAGI is $139,250 or more. For 2011, the limits that applied to you were $106,650 and $136,650.
For all other filing statuses, your interest exclusion for 2012 is phased out if your MAGI is between $72,850 and $87,850. You cannot take the deduction if your MAGI is $87,850 or more. For 2011, the limits that applied to you were $71,100 and $86,100. For more information, see chapter 10, Education Savings Bond Program.
Business deduction for work-related education.(p2)
For 2012, if you drive your car to and from school and qualify to deduct transportation expenses, the amount you can deduct for miles driven from January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012 is 55.5 cents per mile. See chapter 12, Business Deduction for Work-Related Education, for more information.


Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement.(p2)
When figuring an education credit or the tuition and fees deduction, use only the amounts you paid and are deemed to have paid during the tax year for qualified education expenses. In most cases, the student should receive Form 1098-T from the eligible educational institution by January 31, 2013. An institution my choose to report either payments received during calendar year 2012 (box 1), or amounts billed during the calendar year 2012 (box 2), for qualified education expenses. However, the amounts in boxes 1 and 2 of Form 1098-T might be different than the amount you actually paid and are deemed to have paid. In addition, the Form 1098-T should give you other information for that institution, such as adjustments made for prior years, the amount of scholarships or grants, reimbursements, or refunds, and whether the student was enrolled at least half-time or was a graduate student. The eligible educational institution may ask for a completed Form W-9S, Request for Student's or Borrower's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, or similar statement to obtain the student's name, address, and taxpayer identification number.
Hope Credit.(p2)
For 2012, the Hope credit is not available. However, you may be able to claim an American opportunity or lifetime learning credit. See chapter 2, American Opportunity Credit, and chapter 3, Lifetime Learning Credit, for more information.
Estimated tax payments.(p2)
If you have taxable income from any of your education benefits and the payer does not withhold enough income tax, you may need to make estimated tax payments. For more information, see Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.
Photographs of missing children.(p2)
The Internal Revenue Service is a proud partner with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Photographs of missing children selected by the Center may appear in this publication on pages that would otherwise be blank. You can help bring these children home by looking at the photographs and calling 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) if you recognize a child.


This publication explains tax benefits that may be available to you if you are saving for or paying education costs for yourself or, in many cases, another student who is a member of your immediate family. Most benefits apply only to higher education.

What is in this publication.(p3)

Chapter 1, Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants, and Tuition Reductions , explains the tax treatment of various types of educational assistance, including scholarships, fellowships, and tuition reductions.
Two tax credits for which you may be eligible are explained in chapter 2, American Opportunity Credit, and chapter 3, Lifetime Learning Credit. These benefits, which reduce the amount of income tax you may have to pay, are:
Ten other types of benefits are explained in chapters 4 through 12. These benefits, which reduce the amount of income tax you may have to pay, are:
Note.You generally cannot claim more than one of the benefits described in the list above for the same qualifying education expense.
Comparison table.(p3)
Some of the features of these benefits are highlighted in Appendix B, Highlights of Education Tax Benefits for Tax Year 2012, later, in this publication. This general comparison table may guide you in determining which benefits you may be eligible for and which chapters you may want to read.
When you figure your taxes, you may want to compare these tax benefits so you can choose the method(s) that gives you the lowest tax liability. If you qualify, you may find that a combination of credit(s) and deduction(s) gives you the lowest tax.

Analyzing your tax withholding.(p3)

After you estimate your education tax benefits for the year, you may be able to reduce the amount of your federal income tax withholding. Also, you may want to recheck your withholding during the year if your personal or financial situation changes. See Publication 919, How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding, for more information.


In this publication, wherever appropriate, we have tried to use the same or similar terminology when referring to the basic components of each education benefit. Some of the terms used are:
Even though the same term, such as qualified education expenses, is used to label a basic component of many of the education benefits, the same expenses are not necessarily allowed for each benefit. For example, the cost of room and board is a qualified education expense for the qualified tuition program, but not for the education savings bond program.
Many of the terms used in the publication are defined in the glossary near the end of the publication. The glossary is not intended to be a substitute for reading the chapter on a particular education benefit, but it will give you an overview of how certain terms are used in discussing the different benefits.

Comments and suggestions.(p3)

We welcome your comments about this publication and your suggestions for future editions.
You can write to us at the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Individual and Speciality Forms and
  Publications Branch
1111 Constitution Ave. NW, IR-6526
Washington, DC 20224

We respond to many letters by telephone. Therefore, it would be helpful if you would include your daytime phone number, including the area code, in your correspondence.
You can email us at Please put "Publications Comment" on the subject line. You can also send us comments from Select "Comment on Tax Forms and Publications" under "Information About."
Although we cannot respond individually to each comment received, we do appreciate your feedback and will consider your comments as we revise our tax products.
Ordering forms and publications.(p3)
Visit to download forms and publications, call 1-800-829-3676, or write to the address below and receive a response within 10 days after your request is received.

Internal Revenue Service
1201 N. Mitsubishi Motorway
Bloomington, IL 61705-6613

Tax questions.(p4)
If you have a tax question, check the information available on or call 1-800-829-1040. Persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability with TDD/TTY equipment can call 1–800–829–4059. We cannot answer tax questions sent to either of the above addresses.


Useful items

You may want to see:

 463  Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses
 525  Taxable and Nontaxable Income
 550  Investment Income and Expenses
 590  Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Form (and Instructions)
 1040: U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
 1040A: U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
 1040EZ: Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
 1040NR: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return
 1040NR-EZ: U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents
 2106: Employee Business Expenses
 2106-EZ: Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses
 5329: Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans and Other Tax-Favored Accounts
 8815: Exclusion of Interest From Series EE and I U.S. Savings Bonds Issued After 1989
 8863: Education Credits
 8917: Tuition and Fees Deduction
 Schedule A (Form 1040): Itemized Deductions

See chapter 13, How To Get Tax Help, for information about getting these publications and forms.