skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Publication 17

Health Insurance Costs for Self-Employed

If you were self-employed and had a net profit for the year, you may be able to deduct, as an adjustment to income, amounts paid for medical and qualified long-term care insurance on behalf of yourself, your spouse, your dependents, and, your children who were under age 27 at the end of 2012. For this purpose, you were self-employed if you were a general partner (or a limited partner receiving guaranteed payments) or you received wages from an S corporation in which you were more than a 2% shareholder. The insurance plan must be established under your trade or business and the deduction cannot be more than your earned income from that trade or business.
You cannot deduct payments for medical insurance for any month in which you were eligible to participate in a health plan subsidized by your employer, your spouse's employer, or, an employer of your dependent or your child under age 27 at the end of 2012. You cannot deduct payments for a qualified long-term care insurance contract for any month in which you were eligible to participate in a long-term care insurance plan subsidized by your employer or your spouse's employer.
If you qualify to take the deduction, use the Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction Worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure the amount you can deduct. But if any of the following applies, do not use that worksheet. If you cannot use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions, use the worksheet in Publication 535, Business Expenses, to figure your deduction.
Note.When figuring the amount you can deduct for insurance premiums, do not include any advance payments shown in box 1 of Form 1099-H, Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) Advance Payments. If you are claiming the health coverage tax credit, subtract the amount shown on Form 8885, line 4, from the total insurance premiums you paid.
Do not include amounts paid for health insurance coverage with retirement plan distributions that were tax-free because you are a retired public safety officer.

Where to report.(p148)

You take this deduction on Form 1040, line 29. If you itemize your deductions and do not claim 100% of your self-employed health insurance on line 29, you can generally include any remaining premiums with all other medical expenses on Schedule A (Form 1040), subject to the 7.5% limit. See Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction in chapter 6 of Publication 535, Business Expenses, and Medical and Dental Expenses under Line 1, in the Instructions for Schedule A (Form 1040), for more information.