skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Publication 17

Capital Gain Distributions(p65)

Capital gain distributions (also called capital gain dividends) are paid to you or credited to your account by mutual funds (or other regulated investment companies) and real estate investment trusts (REITs). They will be shown in box 2a of the Form 1099-DIV you receive from the mutual fund or REIT.
Report capital gain distributions as long-term capital gains, regardless of how long you owned your shares in the mutual fund or REIT.

Undistributed capital gains of mutual funds and REITs.(p65)

Some mutual funds and REITs keep their long-term capital gains and pay tax on them. You must treat your share of these gains as distributions, even though you did not actually receive them. However, they are not included on Form 1099-DIV. Instead, they are reported to you in box 1a of Form 2439.
Report undistributed capital gains (box 1a of Form 2439) as long-term capital gains on Schedule D (Form 1040), column (h), line 11.
The tax paid on these gains by the mutual fund or REIT is shown in box 2 of Form 2439. You take credit for this tax by including it on Form 1040, line 71, and checking box a on that line. Attach Copy B of Form 2439 to your return, and keep Copy C for your records.
Basis adjustment.(p65)
Increase your basis in your mutual fund, or your interest in a REIT, by the difference between the gain you report and the credit you claim for the tax paid.

Additional information.(p65)

For more information on the treatment of distributions from mutual funds, see Publication 550.