skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Instructions for Form 1040-A

Amount You Owe(p66)

IRS e-file offers two electronic payment options. With Electronic Funds Withdrawal, you can pay your current year balance due and also make up to four estimated tax payments. If you file early, you can schedule your payment for withdrawal from your account on a future date, up to and including the due date of the return. Or you can pay using a credit or debit card. Visit for details on both options.

Line 45(p66)


Amount You Owe(p66)

To save interest and penalties, pay your taxes in full by April 15, 2013. You do not have to pay if line 45 is under $1.
Include any estimated tax penalty from line 46 in the amount you enter on line 45.
You can pay online, by phone, or by check or money order. Do not include any estimated tax payment for 2013 in this payment. Instead, make the estimated tax payment separately.
Bad check or payment. (p66)
The penalty for writing a bad check to the IRS is $25 or 2% of the check, whichever is more. However, if the amount of the check is less than $25, the penalty equals the amount of the check. This penalty also applies to other forms of payment if the IRS does not receive the funds. Use TeleTax topic 206.
Pay online. (p66)
Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time. You can pay using either of the following electronic payment methods.To pay your taxes online or for more information, go to Also see Amount You Owe, earlier, for information about the Electronic Funds Withdrawal payment option offered when e-filing your return.
Pay by phone.(p66)
Paying by phone is another safe and secure method of paying electronically. Use one of the following methods.
To pay by direct transfer from your bank account, call 1-800-555-4477 (English) or 1-800-244-4829 (Espanol). People who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and who have access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 1-800-733-4829.
To pay using a credit or debit card, you can call one of the following service providers. There is a convenience fee charged by these providers that varies by provider, card type, and payment amount.

Official Payments Corporation

Link2Gov Corporation


For the latest details on how to pay by phone, go to
Pay by check or money order.(p67)
Make your check or money order payable to United States Treasury for the full amount due. Do not send cash. Do not attach the payment to your return. Write 2012 Form 1040A and your name, address, daytime phone number, and social security number (SSN) on your payment. If you are filing a joint return, enter the SSN shown first on your tax return.
To help us process your payment, enter the amount on the right side of the check like this: $ XXX.XX. Do not use dashes or lines (for example, do not enter $ XXX– or $ XXXxx/100).
Then, complete Form 1040-V following the instructions on that form and enclose it in the envelope with your tax return and payment.
You may need to (a) increase the amount of income tax withheld from your pay by filing a new Form W-4, (b) increase the tax withheld from other income by filing Form W-4P or W-4V, or (c) make estimated tax payments for 2013. See Income tax withholding and estimated tax payments for 2013 under General Information, later.

What If You Cannot Pay?(p67)

If you cannot pay the full amount shown on line 45 when you file, you can ask for:
Installment agreement.(p67)
Under an installment agreement, you can pay all or part of the tax you owe in monthly installments. However, even if your request to pay in installments is granted, you will be charged interest and may be charged a late payment penalty on the tax not paid by April 15, 2013. You must also pay a fee. To limit the interest and penalty charges, pay as much of the tax as possible when you file. But before requesting an installment agreement, you should consider other less costly alternatives, such as a bank loan or credit card payment.
To ask for an installment agreement, you can apply online or use Form 9465. To apply online, go to and click on Tools and then Online Payment Agreement.
Extension of time to pay.(p67)
If paying the tax when it is due would cause you an undue hardship, you can ask for an extension of time to pay by filing Form 1127 by April 15, 2013. An extension generally will not be granted for more than 6 months. If you pay after April 15, 2013, you will be charged interest on the tax not paid by April 15, 2013. You must pay the tax before the extension runs out. If you do not, penalties may be imposed.

Line 46(p67)


Estimated Tax Penalty(p67)

You may owe this penalty if:
For most people, the tax shown on your return is the amount on your 2012 Form 1040A, line 35, minus the total of any amounts shown on lines 38a, 39, and 40.
You will not owe the penalty if your 2011 tax return was for a tax year of 12 full months and either of the following applies.
  1. You had no tax shown on your 2011 return and you were a U.S. citizen or resident for all of 2011.
  2. The total of lines 36, 37, and any excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax included on line 41 on your 2012 return is at least 100% of the tax shown on your 2011 return (110% of that amount if you are not a farmer or fisherman and your adjusted gross income (AGI) shown on your 2011 return was more than $150,000 (more than $75,000 if married filing separately for 2012)). Your estimated tax payments for 2012 must have been made on time and for the required amount.
For most people, the tax shown on your 2011 return is the amount on your 2011 Form 1040A, line 35, minus the total of any amounts shown on lines 38a, 39, and 40.
Figuring the penalty.(p67)
If the Exception just described does not apply and you choose to figure the penalty yourself, use Form 2210.
Enter any penalty on line 46. Add the penalty to any tax due and enter the total on line 45. However, if you have an overpayment on line 42, subtract the penalty from the amount you would otherwise enter on line 43a or 44. Lines 43a, 44, and 46 must equal line 42.
If the penalty is more than the overpayment on line 42, enter -0- on lines 43a and 44. Then subtract line 42 from line 46 and enter the result on line 45.
Do not file Form 2210 with your return unless Form 2210 indicates that you must do so. Instead, keep it for your records.
Because Form 2210 is complicated, you can leave line 46 blank and the IRS will figure the penalty and send you a bill. We will not charge you interest on the penalty if you pay by the date specified on the bill. If your income varied during the year, the annualized income installment method may reduce the amount of your penalty. But you must file Form 2210 because the IRS cannot figure your penalty under this method. See the Instructions for Form 2210 for other situations in which you may be able to lower your penalty by filing Form 2210.