skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Instructions for Form 1040-A



Line 42(p64)


Amount Overpaid(p64)

If line 42 is under $1, we will send a refund only on written request.
If the amount you overpaid is large, you may want to decrease the amount of income tax withheld from your pay by filing a new Form W-4. See Income tax withholding and estimated tax payments for 2013 under General Information, later.
Refund offset.(p64)
If you owe past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or certain federal nontax debts, such as student loans, all or part of the overpayment on line 42 may be used (offset) to pay the past-due amount. Offsets for federal taxes are made by the IRS. All other offsets are made by the Treasury Department's Financial Management Service (FMS). For federal tax offsets, you will receive a notice from the IRS. For all other offsets, you will receive a notice from FMS. To find out if you may have an offset or if you have any questions about it, contact the agency to which you owe the debt.
Injured spouse.(p64)
If you file a joint return and your spouse has not paid past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or a federal nontax debt, such as a student loan, part or all of the overpayment on line 42 may be used (offset) to pay the past-due amount. But your part of the overpayment may be refunded to you if certain conditions apply and you complete Form 8379. For details, use TeleTax topic 203 or see Form 8379.

Lines 43a Through 43d(p64)


Amount Refunded to You(p64)

If you want to check the status of your refund, see Refund Information, later. Just use the IRS2Go phone app or go to and click on Where's My Refund? Information about your return will generally be available within 24 hours after the IRS receives your e-filed return, or 4 weeks after you mail your paper return. If you filed Form 8379 with your return, wait 14 weeks (11 weeks if you filed electronically). Have your 2012 tax return handy so you can provide your social security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of your refund.
Where's My Refund? has a new look this year! The tool will include a tracker that displays progress through three stages: (1) return received, (2) refund approved, and (3) refund sent. Where's My Refund? will provide an actual personalized refund date as soon as the IRS processes your tax return and approves your refund. So in a change from previous filing seasons, you won't get an estimated refund date right away.
Effect of refund on benefits. (p64)
Any refund you receive cannot be counted as income when determining if you or anyone else is eligible for benefits or assistance, or how much you or anyone else can receive, under any federal program or under any state or local program financed in whole or in part with federal funds. These programs include Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps). In addition, when determining eligibility, the refund cannot be counted as a resource for at least 12 months after you receive it. Check with your local benefit coordinator to find out if your refund will affect your benefits.
Fast Refunds! Choose direct deposit—a fast, simple, safe, secure way to have your refund deposited automatically to your checking or savings account, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA). See the information about IRAs, later.


If you want us to directly deposit the amount shown on line 43a to your checking or savings account, including an IRA, at a bank or other financial institution (such as a mutual fund, brokerage firm, or credit union) in the United States:
If you do not want your refund directly deposited to your account, do not check the box on line 43a. Draw a line through the boxes on lines 43b and 43d. We will send you a check instead.
Do not request a deposit of any part of your refund to an account that is not in your name, such as your tax preparer's account.

Why Use Direct Deposit?(p65)

If you file a joint return and check the box on line 43a and attach Form 8888 or fill in lines 43b through 43d, your spouse may get at least part of the refund.
IRA. (p65)
You can have your refund directly deposited to a traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or SEP-IRA, but not a SIMPLE IRA. You must establish the IRA at a bank or other financial institution before you request direct deposit. Make sure your direct deposit will be accepted. You must also notify the trustee or custodian of your account of the year to which the deposit is to be applied (unless the trustee or custodian will not accept a deposit for 2012). If you do not, the trustee or custodian can assume the deposit is for the year during which you are filing the return. For example, if you file your 2012 return during 2013 and do not notify the trustee or custodian in advance, the trustee or custodian can assume the deposit to your IRA is for 2013. If you designate your deposit to be for 2012, you must verify that the deposit was actually made to the account by the due date of the return (without regard to extensions). If the deposit is not made by that date, the deposit is not an IRA contribution for 2012. In that case, you must file an amended 2012 return and reduce any IRA deduction and any retirement savings contributions credit you claimed.
You and your spouse, if filing jointly, each may be able to contribute up to $5,000 ($6,000 if age 50 or older at the end of 2012) to a traditional IRA or Roth IRA for 2012. The limit for 2013 is $5,500 ($6,500 if age 50 or older at the end of 2013). You may owe a penalty if your contributions exceed these limits.
For more information on IRAs, see Pub. 590.
You can request a deposit of your refund (or part of it) to a TreasuryDirect® online account to buy U.S. Treasury marketable securities and savings bonds. For more information, go to
Form 8888.(p65)
You can have your refund directly deposited into more than one account or use it to buy up to $5,000 in paper series I savings bonds. You do not need a TreasuryDirect® account to do this. For more information, see the Form 8888 instructions.
Line 43a.(p65)
You cannot file Form 8888 to split your refund into more than one account or buy paper series I savings bonds if Form 8379 is filed with your return.
Line 43b.(p65)
The routing number must be nine digits. The first two digits must be 01 through 12 or 21 through 32. On the sample check below, the routing number is 250250025. Henry and Naomi Brown would use that routing number unless their financial institution instructed them to use a different routing number for direct deposits.
Ask your financial institution for the correct routing number to enter on line 43b if:
Line 43c.(p65)
Check the appropriate box for the type of account. Do not check more than one box. If the deposit is to an account such as an IRA, health savings account, brokerage account, or other similar account, ask your financial institution whether you should check the Checking or Savings box. You must check the correct box to ensure your deposit is accepted. For a TreasuryDirect® online account, check the Savings box.
Line 43d.(p66)
The account number can be up to 17 characters (both numbers and letters). Include hyphens but omit spaces and special symbols. Enter the number from left to right and leave any unused boxes blank. On the sample check below, the account number is 20202086. Do not include the check number.
If the direct deposit to your account(s) is different from the amount you expected, you will receive an explanation in the mail about 2 weeks after your refund is deposited.

Reasons Your Direct Deposit Request May Be Rejected(p66)

If any of the following apply, your direct deposit request will be rejected and a check will be sent instead.
The IRS is not responsible for a lost refund if you enter the wrong account information. Check with your financial institution to get the correct routing and account numbers and to make sure your direct deposit will be accepted.

Line 44(p66)


Amount Applied to Your 2013 Estimated Tax(p66)

Enter on line 44 the amount, if any, of the overpayment on line 42 you want applied to your 2013 estimated tax. We will apply this amount to your account unless you include a statement requesting us to apply it to your spouse's account. Include your spouse's social security number in the statement.
This election to apply part or all of the amount overpaid to your 2013 estimated tax cannot be changed later.