skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map
Instructions for Form 1040-A

What If You Cannot File on Time?(p6)

You can get an automatic 6-month extension if, no later than the date your return is due, you file Form 4868. For details, see Form 4868.
An automatic 6-month extension to file does not extend the time to pay your tax. If you do not pay your tax by the original due date of your return, you will owe interest on the unpaid tax and may owe penalties. See Form 4868.
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you may qualify for an automatic extension of time to file without filing Form 4868. You qualify if, on the due date of your return, you meet one of the following conditions.
This extension gives you an extra 2 months to file and pay the tax, but interest will be charged from the original due date of the return on any unpaid tax. You must include a statement showing that you meet the requirements. If you are still unable to file your return by the end of the 2-month period, you can get an additional 4 months if, no later than June 17, 2013, you file Form 4868. This 4-month extension of time to file does not extend the time to pay your tax. See Form 4868.

Private Delivery Services(p6)

You can use certain private delivery services designated by the IRS to meet the timely mailing as timely filing/paying rule for tax returns and payments. These private delivery services include only the following.
For the IRS mailing address to use if you are using a private delivery service, go to and enter private delivery service in the search box. The private delivery service can tell you how to get written proof of the mailing date.