skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Current Year Tax Map

Frequently Asked Tax Questions

IRS Procedures - Copies & Transcripts

  1. Can I get copies of my prior year Forms W-2 from the IRS?

Rev. date: 07/10/2013

Can I get copies of my prior year Forms W-2 from the IRS?

Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, is not directly sent to the Internal Revenue Service. Your employer first sends the documentation to the Social Security Administration. After the SSA has processed this documentation, they transmit the information to the IRS.
The quickest way to obtain a copy of a prior year Form W-2 is through your employer.  If that is not possible:
To receive a copy of your return, complete and mail Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, along with the required fee.
To receive a tax return transcript, including your Form W-2 information, complete and mail Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return.  You may also order a transcript online at, or by calling 800-908-9946.
You can expect to get a transcript, including Form W-2 information, within 5 to 10 days from the time we receive your request.  If you request a copy of your entire tax return, including Form W-2, you should allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.