skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Reform
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 946

How Can You Elect Not To Claim an Allowance?(p29)

For Use in Tax Year 2017
You can elect, for any class of property, not to deduct any special depreciation allowances for all property in such class placed in service during the tax year.
To make an election, attach a statement to your return indicating what election you are making and the class of property for which you are making the election.
The election must be made separately by each person owning qualified property (for example, by the partnerships, by the S corporation, or for each member of a consolidated group by the common parent of the group).

When to make election.(p29)

For Use in Tax Year 2017
Generally, you must make the election on a timely filed tax return (including extensions) for the year in which you place the property in service.
However, if you timely filed your return for the year without making the election, you can still make the election by filing an amended return within 6 months of the due date of the original return (not including extensions). Attach the election statement to the amended return. On the amended return, write "Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2."

Revoking an election.(p29)

For Use in Tax Year 2017
Once you elect not to deduct a special depreciation allowance for a class of property, you cannot revoke the election without IRS consent. A request to revoke the election is a request for a letter ruling.
If you elect not to have any special depreciation allowance apply, the property placed in service after 2015 will not be subject to an alternative minimum tax adjustment for depreciation.