skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Reform
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Publication 505

Estimated Tax(p44)

Take credit for all your estimated tax payments for 2018 on Schedule 5 (Form 1040), line 66. Include any overpayment from 2017 that you had credited to your 2018 estimated tax.
If you were a beneficiary of an estate or trust, you should receive a Schedule K-1 (Form 1041), Beneficiary's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc., from the fiduciary. If you have estimated taxes credited to you from the estate or trust (from Schedule K-1 (Form 1041)), you must report the estimated taxes on Schedule E (Form 1040). On the dotted line next to the entry space for line 37 of Schedule E (Form 1040), enter "ES payment claimed" and the amount. However, don’t include this amount in the total on line 37. Instead, enter the amount on Schedule 5 (Form 1040), line 66. This estimated tax payment for 2018 is treated as being made by you on January 15, 2019.

Name changed.(p44)

If you changed your name, and you made estimated tax payments using your former name, attach a statement to the front of your paper tax return indicating:
The statement should cover payments you made jointly with your spouse as well as any you made separately.
Be sure to report the change to your local Social Security Administration office before filing your 2019 tax return. This prevents delays in processing your return and issuing refunds. It also safeguards your future social security benefits. For more information, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

Separate Returns(p44)

If you and your spouse made separate estimated tax payments for 2018 and you file separate returns, you can take credit only for your own payments.
If you made joint estimated tax payments, you must decide how to divide the payments between your returns. One of you can claim all of the estimated tax paid and the other none, or you can divide it in any other way you agree on. If you can’t agree, you must divide the payments in proportion to each spouse's individual tax as shown on your separate returns for 2018.


James and Evelyn Brown made joint estimated tax payments for 2018 totaling $3,000. They file separate 2018 Forms 1040. James' tax is $4,000 and Evelyn's is $1,000. If they don’t agree on how to divide the $3,000, they must divide it proportionately between their returns. Because James' tax ($4,000) is 80% of the total tax ($5,000), his share of the estimated tax is $2,400 (80% of $3,000). The balance, $600 (20% of $3,000), is Evelyn's share.

Divorced Taxpayers(p45)

If you made joint estimated tax payments for 2018 and you were divorced during the year, either you or your former spouse can claim all of the joint payments, or you each can claim part of them. If you can’t agree on how to divide the payments, you must divide them in proportion to each spouse's individual tax as shown on your separate returns for 2018. See Example under Separate Returns, earlier.
If you claim any of the joint payments on your tax return, enter your former spouse's social security number (SSN) in the space provided at the top of page 1 of Form 1040. If you divorced and remarried in 2018, enter your present spouse's SSN in that space. Enter your former spouse's SSN, followed by "DIV," under Payments to the left of Schedule 5 (Form 1040), line 66.