skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Schedule F (Form 1040)

General Instructions


Other Schedules and Forms You May Have To File(p1)

Single-member limited liability company (LLC).(p1)
Generally, a single-member domestic LLC isn't treated as a separate entity for federal income tax purposes. If you are the sole member of a domestic LLC engaged in the business of farming, file Schedule F (Form 1040). However, you can elect to treat a domestic LLC as a corporation. See Form 8832 for details on the election.
Heavy highway vehicle use tax.(p1)
If you use certain highway trucks, truck-trailers, tractor trailers, or buses in your farming business, you may have to pay a federal highway motor vehicle use tax. See the Instructions for Form 2290 to find out if you owe this tax and go to for the latest developments.
Information returns.(p1)
You may have to file information returns for wages paid to employees, certain payments of fees and other nonemployee compensation, interest, rents, royalties, real estate transactions, annuities, and pensions. For details, see Line F, later, and the 2016 General Instructions for Certain Information Returns.
If you received cash of more than $10,000 in one or more related transactions in your farming business, you may have to file Form 8300. For details, see Pub. 1544.
Reportable transaction disclosure statement.(p1)
If you entered into a reportable transaction in 2016, you must file Form 8886 to disclose information if your federal income tax liability is affected by your participation in the transaction. You may have to pay a penalty if you are required to file Form 8886 but do not do so. You may also have to pay interest and penalties on any reportable transaction understatements. For more information on reportable transactions, see the Instructions for Form 8886.

Farm Owned and Operated By Spouses(p2)

If you and your spouse jointly own and operate a farm as an unincorporated business and share in the profits and losses, you can be taxed as a partnership and file Form 1065, or you each can file Schedule F (Form 1040) as a qualified joint venture.

Qualified Joint Venture(p2)

If you and your spouse each materially participate as the only members of a jointly owned and operated farm, and you file a joint return for the tax year, you can elect to be treated as a qualified joint venture instead of a partnership. This election in most cases will not increase the total tax owed on the joint return, but it does give each of you credit for social security earnings on which retirement benefits are based and for Medicare coverage without filing a partnership return. For an explanation of material participation, see the instructions for Schedule C (Form 1040), line G, and Line E, later, in these instructions.
Making the election.(p2)
To make this election, you must divide all items of income, gain, loss, deduction, and credit attributable to the farming business between you and your spouse in accordance with your respective interests in the venture. Each of you must file a separate Schedule F (Form 1040). On each line of your separate Schedule F (Form 1040), you must enter your share of the applicable income, deduction, or loss. Each of you must also file a separate Schedule SE (Form 1040) to pay self-employment tax, as applicable.
As long as you remain qualified, your election can't be revoked without IRS consent.
For more information on qualified joint ventures, go to and enter qualified joint venture in the search box.

Exception—Community Income(p2)

If you and your spouse wholly own an unincorporated farming business as community property under the community property laws of a state, foreign country, or U.S. possession, you can treat your wholly owned, unincorporated business as a sole proprietorship, instead of a partnership. Any change in your reporting position will be treated as a conversion of the entity.
Report your income and deductions as follows.
The only states with community property laws are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Estimated Tax(p2)

If you had to make estimated tax payments for 2016, and you underpaid your estimated tax, you will not be charged a penalty if both of the following apply.
For details, see chapter 15 of Pub. 225.