skip navigation
Search Help
Navigation Help

Tax Map Index

Tax Topic Index

Affordable Care Act
Tax Topic Index

Exempt Organization
Tax Topic Index

Tax Topics

About Tax Map Website
Instructions for Form 1040-EZ

What if You Cannot Pay?(p24)

If you cannot pay the full amount shown on line 14 when you file, you can ask for:
Installment agreement.(p24)
Under an installment agreement, you can pay all or part of the tax you owe in monthly installments. However, even if your request to pay in installments is granted, you will be charged interest and may be charged a late payment penalty on the tax not paid by April 18, 2017. You also must pay a fee. To limit the interest and penalty charges, pay as much of the tax as possible when you file. But before requesting an installment agreement, you should consider other less costly alternatives, such as a bank loan or credit card payment.
To ask for an installment agreement, you can apply online or use Form 9465. To apply online, go to and click on Apply for an Online Payment Plan.
Extension of time to pay.(p24)
If paying the tax when it is due would cause you an undue hardship, you can ask for an extension of time to pay by filing Form 1127 by April 18, 2017. You will still be charged interest on the tax not paid by April 15, 2017. An extension generally won't be granted for more than 6 months. You must pay the tax before the extension runs out. Penalties and interest will be imposed until taxes are paid in full. For the most up-to-date information on Form 1127, go to

Penalty for Not Paying Enough Tax During the Year(p24)

You may have to pay a penalty if line 14 is at least $1,000 and it is more than 10% of the tax shown on your return. The tax shown on your return is the amount on line 10 minus the amount on line 8a. You may choose to have the IRS figure the penalty for you. If you owe a penalty, the IRS will send you a bill. However, if you want to figure the penalty yourself on Form 2210, you must file Form 1040A or 1040 to do so.
The penalty may be waived under certain conditions. See Pub. 505 for details.
Exceptions to the penalty.(p24)
You won't owe the penalty if your 2015 tax return was for a tax year of 12 full months and either of the following applies.
  1. You had no tax shown on your 2015 return and you were a U.S. citizen or resident for all of 2015, or
  2. Line 7 on your 2016 return is at least as much as the tax shown on your 2015 return.